Friday, October 27, 2017

Chuck's Handmade Newsletter Is All New



Perhaps some of the half-million people who viewed my Tito's post (no kidding!) would like to be exposed to my radiance more frequently. That's where The Bourbon Country Reader comes in, and what do you know, there is a new issue dropping right now.

It really is handmade, too. See the hand? That's my hand. I stuff every envelope then feed it, lovingly, into the postage meter. I also hand-carry them across the street to the mailbox at the corner of Irving Park Road and Pine Grove Avenue, which I open by hand and into which I deposit the envelopes by the handful.

In this issue, we talk to Nick Nagele of Whiskey Acres Distillery, just outside of Chicago in DeKalb, where they are growing corn and making whiskey, including bourbon from single varietal corn.

Is it socially acceptable in 2017 to drink Rebel Yell Bourbon? We dive deep into the brand's history. The story may surprise you.

Distill Ventures is a tiny. itty-bitty division of drinks giant Diageo and they want to help you realize your craft spirits dream. We talk to the managing director for North America, Gonzalo de la Pezuela.

Ready to build that distillery? There is just one name you need to know: Bardstown's Buzick Construction. They can build the whole thing but they specialize in whiskey maturation warehouses.

It's all there in the new issue of Chuck's Handmade Newsletter, also known as The Bourbon Country Reader.

Current subscribers should receive their copies in the next few days. New subscribers can get on the bandwagon by clicking here.

Founded in 1994, The Bourbon Country Reader is the oldest publication devoted entirely to American whiskey. It is a charming mix of news, history, analysis, and product reviews. Do you worry that advertising spending influences coverage in other publications? No chance of that here since The Bourbon Country Reader is 100 percent reader-supported. It accepts no advertising.

To experience The Bourbon Country Reader for yourself, you need to subscribe. Honoring tradition, The Bourbon Country Reader still comes to you exclusively on paper, in an envelope, via the USPS.

A subscription to The Bourbon Country Reader is still just $20 per year for addresses in the USA, $25 for everyone else. The Bourbon Country Reader is published six times a year, more-or-less, but your subscription always includes six issues no matter how long it takes.

Click here to subscribe with PayPal or any major credit card, or for more information. Click here for a free sample issue (in PDF format). Click here to open or download the free PDF document, "The Bourbon Country Reader Issue Contents in Chronological Order." (It's like an index.)

If you want to catch up on what you've missed, bound back issue volumes are available for $20 each, or three for $50. That's here too.

If you prefer to pay by check, make it payable to Made and Bottled in Kentucky, and mail it to Made and Bottled in Kentucky, 3712 N. Broadway, PMB 298, Chicago, IL 60613-4198. Checks drawn on U.S. banks only, please.

Go ahead and subscribe. It's craft!

10 comments:

Charles_in_TN said...

I look forward to my copy as usual. Sometimes it is nice to sit down with a cup of coffee, or an adult beverage, and read something actually written on paper!

Anonymous said...

Just a thought but I believe your Facebook page is a personal page. As such, many business people will never access it, because most have business pages, and don't or can't be friends. Instead we "like" pages. It may work for you as is, but as a distiller, I can't access your pages.

Unknown said...

Chuck, as always I can't wait to read the next Bourbon Country Reader.

I have a random question for you that I've been curious. Could one make bourbon in Puerto Rico & legally call it bourbon since its a US territory?

Chuck Cowdery said...

U.S. territories are U.S. soil, so yes, you can make bourbon in Puerto Rico, Guam, the U.S. Virgin Islands, etc.

Charles_in_TN said...

The Rebel Yell article alone was worth the price of admission. I like Rebel Yell, not because of any history but because I can't get Weller reliably.

Cowboy Tomash said...

I had no idea you're shipping your newsletter outside US, this changes everything! I've subscribed and ordered previous three volumes, keep it up.

Michael Sinatra said...

Chuck, it occurs to me that if you are hand-placing the envelopes into the mailbox one handful at a time, that the newsletter is not only "handmade" but also "small batch." Have you thought about updating the labeling accordingly? Lots of good stuff in this issue, by the way, and I am a happy subscriber.

Chuck Cowdery said...

Thank you. It is small batch. It also makes its subscribers better looking.

Anonymous said...

I hadda laugh when I came here after I e'd you... Good on you bringing this up. I had no idea there was such a thing. Anywho, I just sub'd, so there ya go.

Mike said...

This is fantastic! Will tell my buddies to subscribe as well